Friday, January 1, 2010

Full Circle

Full Circle - Back to one's starting point.
December 31, 2009



Can you believe how much they've grown and changed in just one year?




This is my sewing room. And my scrapbook/craft room. And the food storage room. And the "I don't know where to put this so I'll put it here temporarily until I find a permanent home for it" room. It has gotten completely out of control. Even by my standards, which are frighteningly low.

Too much Christmas sewing, too much keeping of useless items. I'm so ashamed. Or I would be if I had any pride. Which I don't.


So I set about cleaning it up today. I even got very firm with myself and tossed out lots of fabric scraps that I'd been saving because "you just never know when I might need it." Yeah, right. Most of the scraps were so small they would be useless for anything except making one or 2 squares for a tied quilt. Or I had scraps that I had inherited from someone, and not to my liking, but my packratedness would not allow me to throw them out, because, as I mentioned, you just never know when you might need a piece of electric blue and yellow paisley fabric. Really. It could happen. And I'm not even making that up. I actually had (inherited from a dear neighbor) almost a full yard of electric blue and yellow paisley knit. Seriously. It's gone now.




The room is hardly recognizable. All my scraps are neatly contained in the blue tote there, and I scrutinized each piece as to whether it was a) nice enough to bother saving, and b) large enough to be useful for something. Along they way I found out that I have about 3 yards of a lovely green cotton, 2 packages of interfacing that I desperately needed YESTERDAY, and some old photographs of Lane and I from 1989.
After I finished up that mess, I moved on to my bedroom with the same devotion to really elminate the clutter. Where does it all come from? I swear, I just gutted my room not too long ago, and it's all back. Yikes! It's all cleaned up now, dusted even, and soon will be vacuumed. I tidied up my shoes in my closet. Now if I can just keep it that way.



No comments: