Wednesday, January 13, 2010

-$8,000


So I did my due dilligence as I was watching my computer be comsumed by viruses and backed up all my data. I didn't want to lose anything! I got a new thumb drive so I could have it all safely backed up. Not only did I store it on the thumb drive, but I also moved all my sacred data over to my laptop. Double backed up. What could go wrong? I was so on top of everything. Even if Computer Guy had to wipe out my hard drive, I was all set. I had all my stuff. Nothing could go wrong.
1. All my fonts are gone. Except the horrible boring ones that come with the computer. Working in the industry I have for lo these many years, I have come to learn that fonts are everything (not really, but to me!). All wiped out. Crap. Where did I find them all? What were their names? Where do I begin finding them all again?
2. My precious Quicken Data won't load. Evidently, my Quicken program (2005) went back to factory settings, meaning none of the updates I carefully downloaded all these years is gone, and for some reason when I try to download updates from the Quicken site, it tells me I have all the updates I should. But when I try to install my backup data, it tells me that the data is from a newer version of Quicken and therefore incompatible. So my Quicken has no data after February 2006. But somehow it retained all my memorized transactions and has filled in all those transactions from February 2006 until now. Nothing else. Just the memorized stuff. No deposits. Imagine my fright when I opened Quicken to find that I was $8,000 in the red! The picture shows my cash flow - all the bars of the graph are far BELOW the $0 line. So I just went off my most recent bank statement, reconciled it, and recorded a HUGE adjustment to hopefully get me back where I should be. I hope I don't need any of those records for my taxes! I could probably restore my data if I was willing to purchase a newer version of Quicken, but as I've mentioned numerous times, I'm far too cheap. So I'll just do my best to get valid balances from my last bank statements. Somewhere the Quicken Gods are laughing at me.

No comments: