Thursday, January 14, 2010

And the drama continues. . .

So here are the two options. Either my newly cleaned computer was just in a really bad mood . . . or I'm even dumber than I always thought. Remember the missing fonts? Yeah, they're back. No explanation. They are just back.



I had typed up some invitations, only to find that I only had default fonts. I saved my document, exited the program, tried again. Still only default fonts. I saved and exited again, this time rebooting the computer, and tried again. Default fonts. Fine, I decided. I'll just use crappy, boring fonts. I finished up my invitations, printed them, and resolved to look for fonts another time.



So I spent half the day today hunting down fonts, free ones of course. I found a lot of them, at least a lot of the ones I use frequently, and downloaded them. Then as I went to install them in the "fonts" folder of Windows -- there were all my fonts! I went back to my original document, and sure enough, now all fonts were available. Huh??? I don't know what happened . . . or how . . . but I'm glad to have them back.



Not so much a reflection on my own stupidity, however, I got my Quicken fixed. I called my dad to see if he had any brilliant ideas on how to resolve the program/data issue. It turns out he had my updated Quicken CD all along. He borrowed it and forgot to return it. I spent HOURS looking for that CD - deciding it had been accidentally tossed out. So I reloaded the updated software, did a quick Restore, and I'm back in business. At least through December 28. So now I have to re-enter my pile of receipts for the last 3 weeks, which luckily were still on top of my garbage can. Updating the checkbook is not one of my favorite chores, but after staring in the face of a -$8000 adjustment, I think I'll not mind it so much as I re-enter and reconcile a second time.

Here's to hoping this is the end of the computer drama. I've had enough for a while!

1 comment:

Draper Duo said...

Speaking of borrowing things - Can I have my 'Mona Lisa Smile' movie back that I lent you this summer?