Thursday, January 7, 2010

YIKES!

I think I killed it. I got a virus/worm on my computer. That's in addition to all the little mostly harmless ones that were already there. This was a BIG ONE. I had one like it once before, a little over year ago, I think. This one pops up with a warning tht your computer is infected and you need to download the program in order to fix it. It was labeled Internet Security 2010 and had one of those tricky little logos that at first glance looks like an official Windows logo. Since I've had a similar one before, I didn't agree to download, but I guess it still worked it's magic. I tried all my best tricks (which aren't many) to get rid of it myself, and then called in a professional. He came out this afternoon. He had allowed me a 30 minute time slot, and after trying, and failing, to boot the computer, he pronounced it especially nasty and took the computer away with him. So I'm working on my laptop, which may become the new family computer, hence no photos because I don't have the camera software loaded and don't really want to take the time right now to do it. Luckily, since the computer's demise has been clearly coming, I did get all my files backed up last weekend, and I did copy the files onto this laptop, but haven't re-loaded programs because, well, it's just a pain and a bother. And I only want to do the things I want do do. And I don't want to load programs. It's not a fun use of my time. Especially when I could be playing Mario Kart or stitching something. Or almost ANYTHING else. Except laundry. That's still the worst.

No comments: