Monday, January 4, 2010

For Danna



I am cold. Always. Aside from when I was pregnant, I can't hardly think of a time when I have ever been hot. I've tried to convince Lane that I am always the correct temperature and he's just freakishly hot, but he's not falling for it. He occassionally allows me to put my cold feet and icy hands on him, though. And he's always ready to build a fire to warm me up. He has learned to keep the fireplace well stocked with wood so he can build the needed fire on a moment's notice.


All bacon ain't created equally. There is bacon . . . and then there's BACON. This has come to be known in our house as "Good Bacon." Regular bacon is not to be tolerated, if we can help it.


Pleasant Grove, although it is no longer the one-horse town I grew up in, is still home to a little corner grocery store, referred to by the Old Guard as "Little Smiths." It used to be just "Smiths" until the big Smith's Food King moved in. Then it became "Little Smiths." Little Smiths has a butcher. A real butcher. The meat display behind the glass is still how my little-girl mind remembers it when I would go shopping with my mom. The meat is indescribable. More expensive? You bet. Worth it? WORTH EVERY PENNY! When we feel extravagent, we get steaks from there, and you better believe they are better than from anywhere else. But what's more affordable, is their BACON.


It doesn't come in a box, or all vacuumed sealed in plastic. You can order as much or as little as you want. They wrap it up in paper, like a real butcher should, seal it with that crazy butcher tape, write the price on with that also crazy butcher grease pencil. It's super thick cut bacon. And when properly cooked (crispy), it just melts away in your mouth. Great, now I'm salivating. No other bacon can even be considered in the same class as Good Bacon. Tonight we had Brinner (BReakfast for dINNER), and the crowning glory of any respectable Brinner is Good Bacon. Mmmmm . . . . It's good enough to even make Danna consider driving all the way over from Lehi to get some. Oh, and Danna, stop by the shop and say hi when you come.


1 comment:

Davis Family said...

love "little smiths" - i usually give a call to order extra lean hamburger wrapped in pound packages and we love it! i have even made brian a big fan. i also love how the store smells the same as it did when we were kids. we loved running down there to purchase a bag of penny candy (which is now two cent candy...so dumb). thanks for the memory!!