Monday, October 12, 2009

Infrequent, Aromatic, Shrub

Infrequent - Not occurring regularly; occasional or rare.
October 10, 2009


My bed hardly ever gets made. I sleep in it all night, of course, and then Lane sleeps all day, and when he gets up at 4 or 5 o'clock in the afternoon, it just isn't worth making. So it always gets made when Lane is off work so I don't feel like a complete failure of a homemaker. I so need a new quilt, but I love this one so much and haven't found anything yet that I like as well, so here it stays.


Aromatic - Having a distinctive, usually fragrant smell.
October 11, 2009


In our old house I had a rosemary plant that just took off and grew like crazy. I haven't had that kind of luck since we moved and have replanted rosemary at least 4 times. I was planning on a 5th with this one. It didn't die, but it didn't really grow either, and didn't look particularly healthy. For whatever reason, it finally decided to grow and looks pretty strong. I just need it to survive the winter and I think we'll be home free. I just LOVE the smell of rosemary! What to do with fresh rosemary? Put some chicken in a pan, cover it with cream of chicken or mushroom soup, throw some fresh rosemary sprigs on top and bake. Yum. I've been told it works with a beef roast as well, but I haven't ever tried that. Maybe I will now that I have decent rosemary again!

Shrub - A woody plant of relatively low height, having several stems arising from the base and lacking a single trunk; a bush.
October 12, 2009


We bought 3 of these bushes at Walmart last spring. They had beautiful, flame red leaves that turned green over the course of the summer. We planted all three in the front of the house (western exposure) under the living room window. All three get the same amount of sun, and, according to Lane, all three get the same amount of water. And yet the northern-most one is thriving, the middle one is alive, but gimpy, and the southern-most one is dead. Dead beyond resurrection, dead. Go figure. And yet the parsley I planted 5 years ago in the same area STILL WON'T DIE!!! Parsley is supposed to be an annual, biannual at best, and is still coming back, in the flower bed, in the grass, everywhere. It's annoying.


I got another 15 quarts of applesauce done on Saturday, and ruined my kettle in the process. I left the apples on too high for too long and, well, ruined my favorite kettle. Luckily, I have 2 backups. I bought the new Wii Fit Plus and we have all been having a good time with that. It has new fun games, and a way to set up a workout that runs continuously so there aren't big gaps between activities. Taylor has a cold/flu with a fever, so she has been down since Saturday. I thought she would be better today, but she still had a fever so we had to cancel FHE. I took Jack over for his orthodontic exam, and he's all set to get the spacers on Wednesday, and then the braces the following Wednesday. The course of treatment will go for 18 months, so he should finish up at the end of 6th grade.

No comments: