Monday, October 26, 2009

Aged

Aged - Advanced in years; old.
October 26, 2009



I love my dad. He's quirky and weird and all that that embarrassed me to tears as a teen, but now those are the things I love best about him. It was his birthday today. What do you get the old man who has everything? Why, apple treats, of course! I made him an apple pie and took him some warm applesauce that I had just made. I've been giving him food for years now, and he seems to like it. He retired before my mom did, so while she was still working I would make up a pot of chili or soup and put it into single serve containers and freeze it so he had something to eat for lunch. Sometimes I make him bread and jam. He does love the home-baked stuff!


We went out and picked apples again today, another 5 boxes. Finally, it is starting to look like we are clearing off the trees! We got everything off that we could reach by standing on the ground or on a lawn chair. Jack tried to climb up in the tree, but since so many of the branches have broken, I was fearful of sending him up too far. The rest will require a ladder to get to. I got another 8 quarts of chunky applesauce today. I may have to go back through this blog to see how much we have done. I haven't kept a running total, and the applesauce is stored here, there and everywhere and I don't want to hunt it all down to count it. Plus we have eaten some, and given some away. AND I ran out of jars . . . AGAIN. Off to Walmart I go tomorrow for more jars.


I found out tonight that my neice Kassie is expecting. That was exciting news! This will be their first baby, the first one of the next generation. The baby is due in July, and we are hoping she has as comfortable and happy a pregnancy as possible, and that her husband knows what's good for him and pampers her properly.

No comments: