Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Casserole


Casserole - A dish, usually of earthenware, glass, or cast iron, in which food is both baked and served.
October 20, 2009



As I mentioned at least once before, I like casseroles. Especially when it is cold outside. It's just good comfort food. We had mashed potatoes on Monday, and I always make extra (although with Jack around, my "extra" is getting to be less and less!) so we can have Shepherds Pie another day. So that was today, and just for kicks, I threw some bacon on top before I put it in the oven. That tasted pretty good! I think I'll keep doing that. We have learned that we like the Shepherds Pie better with brown gravy instead of the tomato paste/sauce/soup way.


It was another one of those busy days. I was at work until 2:45, and then came home and immedately tackled my apples. I cut them up to go in the steamer/juicer, carefully reading the instructions again to see if I went wrong last time. It turns out I did - The water is supposed to not only be boiling, but there should be steam escaping from the top of the steamer/juicer, and that took a really long time, so I'm absolutely sure that I started timing too soon. I let it go the full 90 minutes, and I got 2 quarts of juice concentrate. During the steaming, I was getting dinner ready and organizing my out-of-control primary stuff. Immediately after dinner - without even cleaning up - we were off to Pack Meeting. We have so many scouts now, that just the intro to the meeting (prayer, flag ceremony & awards) took 45 minutes. Lane did a quick presentation on things to be prepared with on hikes, campouts, etc., and then I came home to clean up the messy kitchen and grind up my steamed apples for applesauce. Lane & Jack went to Jack's football game. I filled the dishwasher, and then handwashed at least that many more dishes. But now I can go to bed knowing the kitchen is clean, but still cluttered. I may be slow, but I'll get through as many of those apples as possible, one way or another. My offer still stands for anyone who needs apples or who wants to come join me as I do it. These chores always go faster with a friend.

No comments: