Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Assortment


Assortment - A collection of various kinds; a variety.
October 13, 2009
See what I've been driven to? Some days are so uneventful that there is just nothing to photograph. As this year-long project is starting to wind down, I am starting to get very relieved. Holidays are coming up which will provide their own photographing opportunities, but days like today are just impossible.
Anyway, I have too many buttons. I am not an active button collector, just an accidental button collector as is anyone who sews. It seems that buttons and patterns never match up, so there are always buttons left over after a project. I remember when I was a kid, and even up to my teenage years, there was a local department store here in town that had a fabric department (what I wouldn't give to have Christensen's back!!), and they sold individual buttons in this large cabinet that reminded me of a card catalog. So if you needed 6 buttons, you could buy six buttons. Not like now when I need 6 buttons and have to buy 2 cards of 4 buttons, leaving me 2 buttons left over. It is this sort of silliness that has turned me into an accidental button collector, and I don't lose a button off an article of clothing frequently enough to warrant all the spare buttons that I have. But, darn it all, I keep them all anyway, because you just never know. That and I have too much of my parents packrat tendencies. Which is another funny thing, because when my parents moved out of this house, there was just more stuff, and more stuff, and more stuff and we thought it would never end. But in talking to my mom, she blamed it all on my dad, because, as she claimed, all of her stuff was important, and all of my dad's stuff was crap. Then in talking to my dad, he declared that all of his stuff was important, and all my mom's stuff was crap. Well, I thought it was ALL crap and just wanted it gone! Please don't ask Lane about the rocks in the garage, because I think they are still there after 5+ years, and no one knows why, and it makes his blood pressure rise. There is still some wood in the rafters in the garage that we are under strict instructions not to touch (my dad thinks it is very valuable) but he hasn't been around to lay claim to it in 5 1/2 years. How important/valuable can it be? I'm just sayin' . . .

No comments: