Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Breadsticks

Oh, I love to make bread . . .


With the rainy day today, it felt like a soup kinda day. Luckily, Lane's cousin's wife was kind enough to post a soup recipe on her blog that sounded yummy (Wilson Writings on my blog list), so I thought I would give that a try, and in her recipe she mentioned making breadsticks so I just went with her plan since I didn't have a plan of my own. It turned out to be a good decision. The soup was really good, even though I had to "tweak" it somewhat to accommodate the ingredients I had on hand.


My SIL Angie gave me this breadstick recipe a few years back. It is so quick to make that I can even make them at the last minute (well, ok, almost last minute. It's still bread, after all!). The recipe follows.



Angie's Breadsticks
1 T yeast
1 T sugar
1 t salt
1 1/2 c warm water
3 1/2-ish c flour

Mix the first 4 ingredients and let stand for 10 minutes.


When the yeast is foamy, add enough flour to make a dough that can be handled w/o sticking to your hands. Knead.


When dough is smooth and elastic, let it sit for 10 minutes. Roll out on a large greased cookie sheet just until the dough almost touches the sides.


Brush the dough with melted butter, and seasoning to suit your taste (this is parsley and garlic salt). Cut dough into breadsticks with a pizza cutter. Let rise for 10 minutes, and then bake at 400 for 12-18 minutes.

Breadstick - a crisp, stick-shaped roll; often served with soup.
October 14, 2009
I make these breadsticks quite a bit, particularly in the fall and winter. I think that there is somewhere a law written that chili cannot be served without breadsticks. When I make chili, I season the breadsticks with Salad Supreme seasoning. Weird, I know, but try it - it's pretty good. I make breadsticks to serve with spaghetti sometimes and season with parmasean cheese. It's very versatile. And who doesn't love fresh breadsticks with a bowl of soup when it's cold and miserable outside? That's just good comfort food, is what that is. And my stoneware pan just cooks breadsticks to perfection. Actually, I cook all my breads with stoneware, and I haven't been disappointed yet. I only have 2 pampered chef stoneware pans (1 muffin and 1 9x9 square), but the cheap stuff works just as good.
We didn't get our family pictures done today due to the weather. We'll try again this weekend when it's supposed to be warmer.



No comments: