Monday, December 29, 2008

Yes, I am that stupid!

Since I hate everything in my house, Lane took pity on me and bought me a new couch. I have wanted a sectional for downstairs to replace the vile couch that I sincerely think is a health hazard. So we go to the store - the same store furniture store I visit faithfully every week or so just to stroke the microfiber sofas and sigh. So we found a sectional we both loved, not too big, and has an awesome huge ottoman. Who needs to measure? All sectionals come in 3 pices and none of the 3 pieces are very big, so no problem getting it in the house and down the stairs. You know what they say about people who assume . . . You guessed right. They couldn't get it downstairs. Turns out that since this sectional is "small," it only comes in 2 pieces, and the long side it just too dang long. Hmm. What to do, what to do. We could put it in our upstairs family room, except that the upstairs family room was designed by some moron who apparently thought that there would never be furniture in the room. The fireplace is right in the middle of the wall, there are 3 doorways, plus a stairway (which creates an odd little nook, impossible to work with). So NOW we decide to measure. Turns out the sectional will fit in the room, miracle of miracles! All I have to do is dismantle my computer desk and "home office" (I use that term loosely), move all that downstairs with the old upstairs family room couch to make room for the new couch. Normally this is only a minor inconvenience, no big deal. But today was no normal day. The couch was delivered around 2:30 or so, it took about an hour to decide it wasn't fitting downstairs, so now it's 3:30-ish, and I'm expecting a houseful of family at 4:30. Not cool! Thanks to my mother-in-law and Lane's grandma, we got it mostly pulled together before the rest of the family arrived. That left the downstairs a huge computer/home office/couch in the middle of the floor disaster. The kids were playing PS2, sitting on the couch about 18 inches from the TV. But now, 11:00 p.m., I have it mostly cleaned up and tolerable. It was supposed to be a seamless couch transition that in no way impacted the fact I had company coming. Everyone I told the story to tonight said, "why didn't you just measure it while you were at the store?" and I had only one answer: BECAUSE I AM JUST THAT STUPID!

1 comment:

Draper Duo said...

congrats on the new couch!