Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Petal


Petal - one of the usually brightly coloured leaf-like parts of a flower.
June 17, 2009


The wind of the last several days has not been kind to my roses! They are blooming beautifully in spite of (or because of?) my butchering this spring. I need to go out now and trim off the dead blooms so it can keep on looking lovely. If it would just stop raining for a little while, I could go and do that. Dumb rain. It just won't stop, and it continues on through all 7 days of the forecast, with the exception of Friday. But only a few days ago, it had rain up through Sunday or Monday (of this week) and then it was clear and sunny after that. So I don't quite trust the forecast. Rain, rain GO AWAY!!



Further evidence of the incessant rain - mushrooms all over the lawn. I even found a dead bird on the lawn today. I don't know how that happened, but I don't do dead things so it will just have to lay there until Lane takes care of it. He is barely hobbling around today (Lane, not the bird). He went to baseball practice and didn't get out of the way fast enough when the batter hit a line drive and it hit him HARD on his right leg, just below his knee. So I told him about the bird, but he won't be taking care of that while he can barely walk. Jake either doesn't know that the bird is there, or he doesn't care, because he didn't even bother it at all.


My shameful admission for the day is that I like casseroles. I know, no one likes casseroles, but I do. Especially if it's a good one, and today I made a good one. I had intended to make Navajo tacos for dinner, but I ended up at Addie's library class for longer than I intended and didn't get dough started on time, so then I decided to do regular soft tacos. Then I went outside and learned how cloudy and cold and rainy it had turned (again!) so I decided it was a good casserole day. So I threw all my taco fixings in and, voila! It was really good! The casserole worked out better anyway, since Taylor isn't home from hanging with her friends and a casserole will be much easier to warm up and eat later than tacos would have been. It's funny what a difference it makes when Jack isn't here. We had half the casserole (or more) left over, and had he been here, there would have been nothing but an empty dish and a smiling little boy asking what else there was to eat! That boy is a bottomless pit! I hope Grandpa planned well enough to keep him fed. But then, I guess since they are fishing, if he wants to eat, he can just go and catch more!

No comments: