Monday, June 1, 2009

Breeze, Sapling

Breeze - A light current of air; a gentle wind.
June 1, 2009



Since I am still far too cheap to turn on my air conditioning, I keep all the windows open. I keep telling myself it hasn't been hot enough yet to warrant the air conditioning. My kids who sleep upstairs would disagree. Anyway, I love the way the breeze catches in the living room sheers and blows them out.



Sapling - A young tree.
May 31, 2009


We planted a new peach tree. We have one, but (1) it's not producing like it used to, and (2) we love peaches. We now have a tree in our naked front yard. It will be a few years before it can afford us any shade from our western exposure that can be very, very HOT in the summer months, but since we are used to no shade, we won't know the difference. Oh, the projects going on in the yard this summer. So much to do.


So my fun this fine first day of summer vacation was tracking down a plumber to come see what was up with the water heater. We lost all hot water yesterday, during Lane's shower. It just went cold. There was no gradual delcline in the amount of hot water like there was when the hot water heater went out about 4 years ago. It was just gone, just like that. I had hoped that it was something simple like the pilot light. As it turns out, it was the pilot light, but it wouldn't stay lit becaues of some thermal regulator thingy, so the plumber came up and got that replaced. That's $140 I wasn't planning on spending. On top of all that, the lumps that Jack discovered on the dog have gotten bigger AND multiplied. I only knew of 4 lumps, but when Lane took Jake to the vet, she found 8 lumps. The big one in the front that looks like Jake swallowed a baseball is the least concerning, according to the vet. She thinks that is likely some fatty tissue, or something. But the other lumps were much more concerning to her. So Lane called me to discuss what to do. It would cost $150 to biopsy the lumps. We decided to go ahead and have that done (whoever heard of a biopsy on a dog?!). If the lumps turn out to be tumors, then we'll have to face a painful decision. Jake doesn't seem to be in any degree of discomfort from the lumps, but he is getting old . . . He was 11 this spring. Well, we'll cross the next bridge when we get to it.


So between the water heater and the dog I never got any dinner prepared so we went to Kneaders for dinner. Taylor is off at Girls Camp this week, so it was just the four of us. We even got a thunderstorm tonight, but I missed the whole thing working on the computer. I can't hear anything down here and the storm was over before I knew it was going on. I do love a good thunderstorm!

No comments: