Monday, June 15, 2009

Garlic, Downpour, Treasure

Backwards, again.



Garlic - aromatic bulb used as seasoning.
June 15, 2009


See how quickly it all comes back to food again? Yummy, yummy bread - seasoned with garlic and parsley. This is the first time I've used this recipe and I will certainly use it again! This smelled so good when it was baking, better than regular bread, thanks to the garlic. I used garlic powder because I'm not sure how to go about using fresh garlic in bread. The recipe I have is for a bread machine, hence the dry milk powder. I have posted the recipe below. I have tweaked it some from the original.



Treasure - any possession that is highly valued by its owner.
June 14, 2009


This is my Mother's Day gift from Addie. At kindergarten they planted marigold seeds, and ours just never germinated, so on Sunday I replanted some daisies, and I'm now hoping for a better result. I have a cute plate that Jack decorated for Mother's Day when he was in kindergarten. I think I've mentioned it before. He drew an airplane on it, and when I asked why he said because he liked how we rode on jets all the time. Oh, the imagination of a 5 year old boy.



Downpour - torrential rain.
June 13, 2009


This is the crazy rain storm from Saturday. It rained sideways for a while, and the wind blew our bucket of wiffle balls all over the yard. We did get a brief reprieve from the rain today, but I think more rain is expected on and off for the rest of the week. This week is Strawberry Days here in town, so rain would be problematic. No one likes to watch a rodeo in the rain! (I don't really care for a rodeo in any sort of weather, but that's another entry for another day).



Garlic & Parsley Bread
2 cups warm water
2 T butter, softened
2 T dry milk powder
2 T white sugar
1 T salt
3 T dried parsley
4 t garlic powder
5-6 c flour
1 T yeast

1. Sprinkle yeast with a little bit of sugar, add 1 cup warm water. Let sit for 5-10 minutes until yeast is foamy.
2. Add other ingredients and mix until dough is smooth and elastic.
3. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with a dishtowel and place in a warm place to rise until dough is doubled in size.
4. Punch dough down, divide into two loaves. Shape loaves and place in two greased loaf pans. Place in a warm place to rise.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Brush with butter after removing from oven.

No comments: