Monday, March 23, 2009

Appropriate & Prophet


Appropriate - Suitable or proper under the circumstances.
March 23, 2009



It was SO cold today, especially cold since we have had several warm days. It was definetly a soup kinda day! This soup turned out really good. I started to follow a recipe . . . the key word being STARTED, but then I just kinda started chucking stuff in. You can't really go wrong with soup, can you? Again, it involved making a rue, and that rue made the soup delightfully thick, just the right amount of thick, though. I threw in some leftover sausage and some dehydrated zucchini I found in the freezer, among the other veggies and such. I thought it was really good. There are PLENTY of leftovers, as there always is when I make soup because I lack the ability to gauge when it's "enough." Thats ok, the next several days are cold, too, so we can enjoy it again . . . and again, and luckily Grandma took some home. I don't know if I will ever be able to re-create it though, beyond the rue, since I gave up following the recipe. I tried to make bread to go with the soup, but was having what I can only call a "bad yeast day." I haven't had to scrap my yeast/water/sugar mix and start again for a very long time, but today I made 6, yes I really said 6, attempts and just couldn't get foam. I don't understand why. I tried different kinds of yeast, even different mixing bowls and still couldn't get it to foam. I just made bread a few days ago, and everything turned out great. So after 6, yes, I seriously stuck with it through 6 tries, I gave up and went with muffins.


Prophet - One who pronounces or interprets by divine inspriation; a spokesman.
March 22, 2009
My books by our beloved, and much missed, prophet Gordon B. Hinckley. The biography is not mine, but borrowed from Grandma last May when Addie was having her surgery. I am about 3/4 done. I know, I am a painfully slow reader anymore, but I have really enjoyed this book. It presented President Hinckley as such a real person, that I don't know how anyone could read even a few pages without being inspired to be a better person.
For FHE tonight, we watched "Horton Hears a Who." I know it's animated, and I know it's Dr. Suess, but I think that movie/story is extremely profound. What a wonderful world this would be if we all lived by the mottos "A person's a person no matter how small" and "I meant what I said, and I said what I meant. A (insert word less offensive than 'elephant') is loyal, 100 per cent." Even the teamwork demonstrated by the Whos in order to be heard is a good lesson. Then there is the demonstration of faith, commitment . . . I could go on and on (maybe I already did) on the virtues of "Horton Hears a Who," but I'll just leave it with this: there aren't many movies that I consider good enough to own (shut up, Lane) and this is one of them. Even aside from the fantastic animation, the story is a true life lesson for all of us who aspire to be better people.

No comments: