Saturday, September 12, 2009

Simmer

As a mom, there are 2 questions that I hate more than any others: #1 "What's for dinner?" and #2 "Ohhhh, do I really have to?"



Yes! you have to! I had 3 very unwilling helpers today to do the applesauce. It was the living re-enactment of the story of the little red hen, everyone wants to eat the applesauce, but no one wants to make the applesauce. With every apple they peeled (notice we have 2 apple peeling gadgets, they didn't even have to do it the hard way), I heard "Isn't that pot full YET?" Even Addie was difficult, and all she was doing was picking up the cores and apple "strings" and putting them in the garbage. With their help, or perhaps in spite of it, I got a box and a half of my in-laws apples made into applesauce today. That made 9 quarts. So before I leave on Friday, I have to finish the other 2 1/2 boxes of apples, plus I am getting more peaches from my inlaws as well. Did I mention I have to have it all done by Thursday? I'm thinking that FHE this week will be applesauce making and/or peach canning. I better warn Grandma so she has a chance to graciously back out before we shamelessly put her to work.

Then later tonight Addie's remaining front baby tooth started to bleed. It's really loose. But I don't do teeth. They gross me out. So I loaded her in the car and drove over to my parents house. My dad isn't grossed out by much and he or my mom are usually willing to pull teeth. My dad worked on it some, but declared it not quite ready so we came home. I gave her some tylenol since her gums around the teeth are a little swollen from all the wiggling and prodding and sent her off to bed. Hopefully it will fall out on its own, because, seriously, teeth are disgusting.

Simmer - To be cooked gently or remain just at or below the boiling point.
September 12, 2009
So the aforementioned apples simmered for hours on the stove. It made the house smell divine! I couldn't bring myself to dry the basil because it would mess with the smell of the apples. Since I will be doing apples for days . . . and days . . . I guess I will have to set the dehydrator outside. I also made some pretzels bites today, but I put them too close together on the cookie sheet so they turned out more like teeny tiny dinner rolls than pretzels. Oh well, it was still good. I never got my Ranch dressing made today, nor the peach pie. But I did finish all my laundry in a single day! That should be my POD labeled "Miracle."


No comments: