Friday, September 11, 2009

Done


Having been carried out or accomplished; finished.
September 11, 2009
Yeah, it's still more with the peaches. But it is the last of the peaches unless I go beg some more off my sister. Actually I don't think I'll have time for that since I still have mashed tomatoes in the freezer and a few boxes of apples that need to be done before I leave for vacation on Friday. Anyway, back to the peaches. I decided to do some pie filling today. I got 9 quarts, and one that still hasn't sealed after being processed twice. I've decided to take that as a sign that we are supposed to have peach pie tomorrow. Anyway, the peaches are done!
Lest this anniversary go by without my profound remarks, let me just say this: It is difficult for me to express the emotions that stir every year on this day. I remember that day 8 years ago so clearly, and I remember how frightened everyone was, how uncertain everything seemed, and how, for far too brief a period of time, everyone was a little kinder, a little more patient, a little more compassionate. To the soldiers, police, fire fighters, medical personnel, teachers, all those who serve our country in one way or another, thank you for your selfless service. Yours is a difficult and often thankless job, so on this day, let me thank you.

No comments: