Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Punishment

Punishment - a penalty for a crime or offense
September 16, 2009



We are trying a new tactic to deal with Addie's naughtiness. It was born out of a combination of two things: the Clark's famous paint can that they used for Katie, and watching too many episodes of "Supernanny" last week when I was sick and couldn't sleep. So we have this can. It's just a regular #10 can from the Lindon Cannery. It used to hold rice. I would think it is very uncomfortable to sit on. Which, of course, is the point.



So when Addie started in today with her daily fit, I sent her down to the family room to sit on the can. The time is 6 minutes since she is 6 years old (that's the supernanny part). After a few minutes I came to check on her, and asked if it was uncomfortable. She said yes, and could she get off now? No, I told her and she lasted the 6 minutes.



A little later when another fit was coming on, all I had to do was ask if she wanted to go back to the can for another 6 minutes. That nipped that fit right in the bud, and we got along for the rest of the evening without any problems. Hmm. Too easy. We'll see how it goes with tomorrow's daily fit.

1 comment:

Dan and LaVon said...

genius, the can part. I love it