Thursday, September 10, 2009

Oversized, Basil

Oversized - A size that is larger than usual.
September 9, 2009




I think the correct term would actually be overpriced, but I digress. Yesterday was Jack's birthday so naturally I felt like crap. I had hardly slept the night before. I had that dry-scratchy-raspy throat thing going on and had a miserable night. I got so mad at one point about not sleeping that I threw my empty water bottle across the bedroom. Yeah, I'm not too old to have a temper tantrum now and then. I had a crazy busy day at work, had to go to Walmart, and came home to boxes of peaches that needed to be done, an apple pie that needed to be made, and a wreck of a house. I got the pie made, I got through 13 quarts of peaches before I had finally had enough. Luckily, we had planned on taking Jack out for dinner so I didn't have to cook. Lane was kind enough to process the peaches for me so after dinner I went to bed. I slept better last night, but am still worn out today. I'm glad that the sore throat thing passed quickly. Oh, and the house was still a wreck.



Jack got his new scout uniform. His shirt comes nearly to his knees. I forgot to get the sash thing and the shoulder things (I don't know the words for all the uniform pieces) so I'll still have to go back. He also got 2 Legos sets, jeans, and new shirts. Here's to hoping I can get the boy to write thank you notes. Taylor still hasn't done it for her birthday in July. My Grandma Whaley would be scolding her by now!






Basil - An old world aromatic annual herb in the mint family, cultivated for its leaves.
September 10, 2009
I cut this plant TO THE GROUND not all that long ago. It is back, and every bit as big as it was before I cut it. That's exactly what I was hoping for, but what I hope for and what I get are rarely the same thing. That's one more thing to add to my list of things to do: Dry Basil. Luckily, that's a quick and easy little task (meaning that can get Taylor to do it) so I just need to do it.
I am feeling much better today, so I got another 13 quarts of peaches done, ground up some more tomatoes, and convinced Taylor to make some zucchini bread. We had spaghetti for dinner tonight. Lane enjoys making spaghetti so it all works out great for me. After dinner he helped me prep the peaches and get them in the bottles, so it went pretty fast. He even processed the peaches, too. Actually he always processes the cans for me because I'm scared of his camp chef stove. I'm convinced somehow that it will explode in my face as I try to light it. Taylor and Jack helped some with the peaches, but Taylor was mostly busy with her zucchini bread and Jack was mostly busy trying to find something to be busy with so he couldn't help with peaches. Addie is just useless, so we sent her off to do her 20 minutes of reading, which consisted mostly of her singing her stories and coming back to see if we were done yet.

1 comment:

Draper Duo said...

I have a scratchy throat that just started yesterday...I am assuming I caught it from you. Thanks for sharing...hope it passes quickly for me too.