Saturday, September 26, 2009

Day 2, Part I - 9/19

So our first morning in New Orleans, we woke up and all met in the lobby of the hotel to figure out where to go for breakfast. We all knew the gorging, I mean eating, would begin in earnest once we got on the ship, so we decided to get something quick and easy. There was a Burger King not too far down the street, so we (except Troy & Marie) started to walk down there. When we left the hotel, it started to rain lightly and felt nice because it was so warm outside. But the farther we walked, the harder the rain fell until finally it was a real deluge before we got to BK. I was so wet I was dripping, and went into the ladies room at BK only to discover, much to my dismay, that they didn't have paper towels, only a hand dryer, and that wasn't very helpful in drying my dripping hair. I bent over and tried it that way, but I'm just too darn tall and evidently not flexible enough. When I came out of the bathroom, Troy had called to find out where we all were, so he was on his way. I sat down, still trying to dry my hair with Lane's shirt, and in come Troy and Marie, completely dry, and then I noticed the rain had stopped and the sun was out. I guess it only rained for as long as it took us to get from the hotel to BK. Nice.


After breakfast, we went back to the hotel so all the ladies could re-coif and change if necessary, and then we hopped back on the street car over to the Civl War Museum. It was so cool! It wasn't a very big museum, but it was well stuffed with only the best stuff. They had a very large collection of Jefferson Davis memorabilia, as well as a bunch of other soldiers, some well known to me and some not. They had a very large collection of guns that got Lane all jazzed. It was an wonderful museum. Naturally, no photography was allowed.


Accross from the Civil War Museum was the National WWII Museum. They charged an admission to go into the main part of the museum, and we didn't want to pay it because we didn't have a lot of time to spend before we had to go to the port, but the lobby had a bunch of Dday stuff, and that part was free.

Hero - A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life.
September 19, 2009
The WWII museum sits on a corner, and the sidewalk on the two sides of the museum are paved with these bricks. I don't know if they are just veterans of WWII, or if they are soldiers who died, but the bricks went on for a long time and it was quite impressive.



This is part of the Dday exhibit that was at the WWII museum.




There were several planes hung from the ceiling. They also had men in this area dressed in soldier uniforms from the era.


No comments: