Monday, August 10, 2009

Lesson

Tonight I decided to be Kneaders. It was a nice change from Cafe Rio. I didn't get any pictures because I was so frantically trying to get dinner ready on time that I didn't remember about photos until we had almost finished. No one wants to look at half-eaten food!


I didn't get home from work until 1:00, and I had to take Taylor out to the Jr. High for some registration stuff. After that, I took her out to Office Max to get some school supplies that I hadn't gotten during either of my first two trips. Then we had to stop at the optometrist on the way home to pick up her contacts and Addie's glasses. So with all that I didn't get home until about 2:30 and still had to make bread! Ughh!

I quickly mixed up 2 loaves of focaccia, which needed at least 1 1/2 hours to rise, before punching down, rising again, etc. Needless to say, I didn't have that kind of time. I wandered into the kitchen every 15 minutes or so, lifted the cloth to peek at how things were progressing, and shout at it "Rise, baby, rise!" I had to punch it down before I wanted to, and I got it pressed into 2 9" pans, brushed with olive oil and seasoning, and then I began the whole cycle again, this time shouting, "Rise! Rise!" even louder.

I had to stick it in the oven at 5:00 whether it was ready or not, so in it went. With 2 minutes left to bake I took it out and sprinkled it with cheese and put it back in to melt. I took it from the oven just as Grandma came for dinner. I didn't want to have to cut hot bread, but it's the best I could do with such a late start. I quartered each loaf of bread, and then sliced those to make sandwiches like at Kneaders. I had mixed up my own version of their Kneaders sauce and had the fixin's and we had sandwiches for dinner. I must say, I was surprised that the bread turned out so good and actually quite close (in my opinion) to Kneaders focaccia. We had some baked beans and homemade applesauce and I was stuffed.




Lesson - An experience, example or observation that imparts beneficial new knowledge or wisdom.
August 10, 2009


It was Taylor's turn to do the FHE lesson, and she took it from the section of her "For the Strength of Youth" book on listening to appropriate music. She did a nice job. She went to a fireside last night put on by our new stake presidency and, although she didn't want to go, she came home so glad that she had gone and had a really good experience. It is very inspiring to watch her testimony grow.

No comments: