Saturday, August 8, 2009

Learn

Another busy day at my house! I got up at 7 when Lane got home from work (for those who don't know - I HATE getting up!) and we went for a long walk. We went the opposite way on the canal road, so I don't have any mileage landmarks and I didn't take my pedometer, but I think we went close to 2 miles. It's a prettier walk to the south than it is to the north, but I have walked the north route so many times I know exactly how far everything is. After our walk, we came home and the berry picking commenced. We were both bruised, scratched and bleeding when we were done, but we had a little over 2 1/2 quarts of blackberries. Instead of jam this time, I bottled pancake syrup. We're planning to have some pancakes tomorrow, so I'll report on how good/bad it turned out. It was gorgeous while it was cooking, and smelled even better.




My parents have been camping for a week in American Fork canyon. We went up to eat dinner with them and my brother & his family who are camping for the weekend. I was surprised to find that my other brother and his family had also shown up for dinner, so we had a good crowd.





Calvin and his family prepared a stew in the ducth oven. I didn't have room to sample any, but it smelled delicious and everyone else said it was wonderful!


For reasons I'm not totally clear on, my parents took their hummingbird feeder. I wasted too much time and too much of my battery power chasing this little hummingbird around trying to get a picture. Since I'm still figuring out this camera, all my pictures of the bird in flight are a huge blur.


This is just the lovely scenery at Granite Flat campground in American Fork canyon. Even though the campground was nearly full, with all the foliage around it feels really private.






Learn - To gain knowledge, comprehension, or mastery of through experience or study.
August 8, 2009
I wanted to take a couple of apple pies to our picnic for dessert, so I made one (the one on the right) and Taylor and Jack made one (the one on the left). They followed the recipe and I gave them no assistance of any kind. Jack has helped me in the past, so he had to "teach" Taylor. I think the two of them did an excellent job! Even though Jack has helped me, he's never rolled out dough, nor sealed the edges. I think Taylor was really surprised to see how easy pie is and really proud that she could do it!




No comments: