Sunday, November 8, 2009

Snickerdoodle, Baptism, Scar

Snickerdoodle - A soft sugar cookie rolled in cinnamon sugar.
November 6, 2009



Why don't I remember to make snickerdoodles more often? We all like them, but for some reason I just don't remember to make them when I'm in a baking mood. I baked these to share at the baptism, but what I didn't take was gone in an instant. I'll just have to start remembering to make them, that's all there is to it. Jack helped me and he could probably do it without help now that he's done it once. He likes to cook and bake.


Baptism - A Christian sacrament signifying spiritual cleansing and rebirth.
November 7, 2009


My neice Madison was baptised. It was a very nice service and she looked beautiful in her white dress.


Scar - A mark left on the skin after a surface injury or wound has healed.
November 8, 2009



Isn't she the cutest? There's the scar on her head from her walk-to-school tumble back in September, and of course the subsequent stitches. But more dear to my heart is the large scar on her chest, peeking up out of the neckline of her dress. I'm so thankful for scars because they are a constant reminder of things overcome. I have my burn scar on the back of my leg ( I ALWAYS win "my scar is bigger than your scar") that is a reminder of a challenge that I was too young to remember. And I have a Ceserean scar that is a reminder of what it took to get this little angel into our lives. I adore her heart surgery scar (she calls it her "scratch) because it reminds me of everything that she has been through. I wish I could put into words how brave she has been through it all, I don't know that I could be so brave if I had to do it. Even during her last surgery, when she was so miserable and in so much pain, and she shouted at me "I DON'T LIKE YOU!" I knew how brave she was really being, because if it had been me, I would have shouted something much, much worse. She doesn't understand why she has to be different, why she can't do the things her friends do, why she has to be careful, but she does it anyway, mostly without complaint. And Taylor and Jack take good care of her and worry so much about her when she isn't doing well. I am so grateful for this little trial that Heavenly Father sent us. I remember bawling and bawling when we found out about her condition, but now that we are in it, I have learned it really isn't all about me, and I'm grateful for the opportunity I have been given to be her mommy. What a blessing she is in our lives.

2 comments:

Dan and LaVon said...

I know I don't see you much but I have always followed how she is doing and I to have been impressed with her courage and fighting spirit that at the same time is soft and loving. You are blessed to have her and she to have you, Lane, Taylor and Jack

Syme Family said...

Hope the appointment went well today for Addie! She is a very STRONG little girl and we love her! Good to see you this weekend!