Saturday, November 28, 2009

Girlish, Indulge, Sew

I'm almost positive I've reused more than a few words on this year-long quest, and I'm not about to look through 330-ish entries to verify. So if you find that I have duplicated, just keep that information to yourself, because I'm far too lazy at this point to correct it.

Girlish - Befitting or characteristic of a young girl.
November 25, 2009



This is that fabric I bought for a buck a yard. On Wednesday I sewed it up and it turned out cute. Shhh . . . it's for Addie for Christmas. It's pink, has pink and white dots, and it's a dress. I think that satisfies most of her requirements. No ruffles, though.



Indulge - To yield to; gratify.
November 26, 2009



Ah, Thanksgiving. The one day each year that it is not only permissable, but encouraged, to overeat and lounge around all day doing nothing, with the top button on your pants undone. I think we should have one such day per month.


For the Big Feast Dessert, I made 2 apple pies and 2 cheesecakes. For years I have made what has come to be affectionately referred to as "The Traditional Thanksgiving Cheesecake Just Like The Pilgrims Ate," and none of my kids said anything about it. Finally, this year Jack said, "Hey, I don't think the Pilgrims had cheesecake at the first Thanksgiving!" I'm glad one of them finally realized that our Traditional Thanksgiving Cheesecake is anything but traditional (well, except in our family), but when the dessert baker (me) doesn't like pumpkin pie, cheesecake is the next logical thing, right?



Sew - To make, repair, or fasten by stitching, as with a needle and thread or sewing machine.
November 27, 2009




My Black Friday, when I can arrange it, is spent in blissful solitude in my basement, sewing away on the too many Christmas projects I have planned. Everything had been planned out so well: I "suggested" to Lane that he take Jack and his dad and go hunting. I "reminded" my mom that my girls like to come and help her put out her Christmas stuff. Since my "suggestions" and "reminders" were all taken up, I was left at home, ALONE, at 9:30 this morning. I hardly knew where to begin. First things first, of course, and I met Calvin at the shop for my morning drink. I'm a much nicer person to be around when I'm properly caffeinated. Then I came home and dug in. Then I realized that I needed more fabric. Since I figured Walmart would be insane, I drove to the real fabric store in American Fork. Somehow, in a huge, real fabric store, I wasn't able to find what I wanted. How crazy is that? So I decided to brave the crowds and go to Walmart. Surprisingly, it wasn't bad. The parking lot wasn't any fuller than usual. I found EXACTLY what I wanted in Walmart's fabric section, and headed for the checkout. You must understand that for some reason, the lines at the Lindon Walmart are always longer than at any other Walmart. It's not due to a large amount of shoppers, but rather some strange policy Walmart has that no matter how slow or busy the store is, there will only be 1 checker open in the non-foods section, and 2 checkers open in the foods section (1 of which is the express lane where there is always someone with an overloaded cart checking out. What's up with that?) I considered checking out in electronics, which is my typical plan, but decided to chance it up front. What do you know? No lines! How was that possible? Anyway, I got checked out and came home and continued on with my Day of Bliss. Then it ended. My mom hasn't got a Christmas Tree yet, so they got done with the decorating early, and she brought the girls home. Dang. It's hard to hide Christmas presents while they are scattered all over the basement floor! Well, I did my best to distract Addie while Taylor just rolled her eyes at me and my mess. Then Taylor announced that she wanted to go hang with friends and needed a ride. So I took her and came back home. I continued with my cutting out of projects that didn't need to be kept secret only to discover I hadn't bought enough fabric. So back to Walmart. This time the check out lines were huge so I checked out at electronics. Back home to continue with the cutting out. Time to go get Taylor. So I only got 2 projects completed of all that I had hoped to do. If I had been left alone like the plan had been, I think I could have finished one more. Well, they are MY kids. I guess I should take care of them now and then.


So now, bleary-eyed and with an aching back, I head to bed with the comforting knowledge that I have Christmas well under control. I say that now - the real panic will set in around the 15th or so, when I will start crying and say to Lane, "I've taken on too much, HELP!" That's just another tradition of Christmas.

No comments: