Monday, July 27, 2009

Scrumptious



I found out last night during my nightly walk around the yard with Lane that the blackberries were ripe. Our blackberry bush is very overgrown and very thorny. Thorny isn't really even a proper description. The thorns are more like spikes, really, or maybe nails. Every year when I've gone out to pick the blackberries I return all scratched and bloodied. So last night I picked what blackberries I could easily reach and Lane agreed to get the rest in the morning. So this morning he donned his chain-mail and went out to pick the blackberries. Overgrown as it is, we got a good bunch of blackberries, more than I've ever had before in a single picking, and I got enough to make up a batch of jam. I've always before had to mix my few blackberries with strawberries, but this time I did straight blackberries. And what a mess it made!




So while my jam was "jamming," I proceeded with dinner prep. Tonight is our FHE dinner with Grandma, so I had planned on having Lane grill up some chicken. So I made up a marinade of fresh lime juice and zest, a little olive oil and some fresh herbs. I used basil, thyme and oregano. That was quickly done, so I went ahead and made up some bread, but didn't take any pictures because it was the same garlic and herb bread I've done before.


I then moved on to the pie. Taylor wanted a strawberry pie for her birthday yesterday, and I had intended to make it yesterday, but my strawberries turned ugly on me so I had to go get some more today. I wish that someone had told me years ago that pie was as easy as . . . well, as easy as pie. Now that I've discovered that little secret, we've had pie quite a lot.

My crust even rolled out quite nicely on the first try. Yeah, it usually takes me 2 tries.




Scrumptious - Extremely pleasing to the sense of taste.
July 27, 2009
Almost nothing in the world (except for corn on the cob) tastes like summer more than strawberry pie. Stop it! My mouth is watering again.




1 comment: