Saturday, July 25, 2009

Play, Rich, Steep

Play - To take part in a game.
July 25, 2009


Tonight was Taylor's birthday party, so the rest of us were banished to the basement. We didn't have a whole lot to do, there's nothing good on TV on Saturday nights, so Jack and Addie played Lego Star Wars on Playstation while I balanced the checkbook and paid bills. How's that for exciting? And by "played," of couse I mean argued and fought.





Our group that made the hike so early on a holiday morning.



The valley view from the G.



Steep - Having a sharp inclination; precipitous.
July 24, 2009


My extended Walker family has a family reunion breakfast every year on the 24th. This year an invitation went out to all who were interested to hike to the G before breakfast. I hiked to the G a few times in high school, and it wasn't a bad hike, so I dragged Taylor and Jack along and we met up with the few other Walkers at 6 am and off we went. For reasons that are unclear, Calvin led us up a very steep trail to begin the hike. I'm not sure if he forgot what he was doing, or if he wanted to make it faster, but I burned up every ounce of energy I had climbing one steep section after another. The hike I remember was a lot of slight inclines with a few sharp ones here and there, and this just wasn't THAT! Part way up I thought I might have to just sit and wait for everyone to come back down, but with some encouragement I persevered and made it to the G. Nearly everyone else continued on up to the top of the G itsself, but I wasn't feeling so great so I just stayed where I was. I'm very proud of myself for sticking it out, and am anxious to go again, so long as we stick to the other trail. My apologies to all seasoned hikers for my weakness and shame.





Rich - Containing a large amount of choice ingredients, such as butter, sugar or eggs, and therefore unusually heavy and sweet.
July 23, 2009


My new baking mentor, Nicki Wilson, put this recipe (peanut butter truffle brownies) up on her blog and so I had to try it out. It turned out so good! It is super rich though, so even a sweet-aholic like me can only manage a small square. A big glass of cold milk washes it down nicely, though. A link to Nicki's blog is on the right side where my blog list is. It's called Shirley's Swirleys.

No comments: