Wednesday, April 8, 2009

History


History - Past events, especially those involving human affairs; an account or record of past events that is written in chronological order, especially those concerning a particular nation, people, activity or knowledge; the study of the past and its significance.
April 8, 2009
See what happens when I wait until 10:30 p.m. to look for something to photograph? Be grateful, the original plan was even more boring that this. The Lincoln book was my graduation gift from Lane. The book was brand new that year (1993) and its release was a huge deal. The book cost about $50, and as newlyweds we had no money. Lane knew that I wanted the book and he found a way to get it for me for graduation, which makes it even more special. I do love my Civil War History. I think it is still the nicest book I own. There is nothing better than a true gift from the heart. You know, the perfect gift . . . expensive or not . . . that perfectly suits the receiver; the gift that says it all without the giver having to say a anything at all. I have another such gift from Lane, a music box. It no longer plays music consistently, and the lid is no longer attached but rather just resting on top. But I'll keep it forever because of the sentiment behind it. It plays - when it does play - Younger than Springtime (I think that's the title . . . I can hear the tune in my head!) I hope that during the course of my life I have given a few such gifts. There is a gift I found on Ebay for my brother a few years ago that I was terribly proud of having found. It was an old battered copy of a child's book called "Calvin & The Cub Scouts." If you know Calvin, you know I just had to get it for him. It was his 40th birthday, so even better. I think it only cost me about $6 including shipping, but it was so much fun to give.

No comments: