Tuesday, April 21, 2009

And still more bread . . .


Braid - To interweave three or more strands of something; to plait.
April 21, 2009
My first attempt at a plaited bread. I have always avoided doing this because I can't make good "rope" things to make the braid, but luckily the raising and baking are very forgiving! It turned out so good - really crusty, but soft and light on the inside. It would be a really good bread dipped in olive oil, like what they bring you as an appetizer at Carrabbas. I'll have to try that. My only complaint was that the recipe made a small loaf, and I always like to have a spare to share when I make bread, and this only made 1. I'll have to adjust that next time. It also got browner than I liked, due to the egg wash I am told, but I wasn't happy with that. I will definitely make it again! The recipe called for poppy seeds, but since that isn't the kind of thing I keep around, it was suggested that I try dill and that worked great. I added dill both to the dough and to the egg wash. I now just need to find a bread (not a muffin) that includes my 3 favorite things - bread, of course, cheese and bacon. Oh, and garlic. I guess that makes 4. How can you go wrong with those 4 things! Any recipes are welcome.

No comments: