Thursday, May 28, 2009

Replacement, Academic

Jack needed a new swimming suit this year. He came downstairs, all ready for his first trip to the pool, and the elastic in his swim trunks was completely shot. I wasn't about to drop everything and run to the store, so we pinned it and off he went. The next day I got ready to go get him a new suit, and he instructed me that he was "over super heros" ( his other suit had batman on it) and was ready for something more grown up. Like flowers. But he wanted me to clearly understand that he meant Hawaiian typ flowers, not regular flowers, like I could somehow get confused and pick up the other kind of rose and daisy printed swim trunks that are commonly found in the boys department. Even still, I called him from the store to check if he wanted blue and white flowers, red and orange flowers, or camo. Lane & I were sure he would want camo given the choice, but he needed some time to conference with his fashion consultant (Taylor, apparently) and then decided on the blue and white flowers. Whooda thunk? This is the first picture I took with the new camera, and somehow Jack looks really grown up.


So if anyone is giving out the "Worst Mom Ever" award, please send it directly to me. I was such a horrible mom today! Our jr. high has decided to have an 8th grade completion/graduation ceremony, and I've know for some time that it was today. But somehow, yesterday, that little detail escaped me, and Taylor too, because she asked if she could go shopping with her cousin and I said sure. So today I got up and went over the schedule for the day in my head: Jake to the groomer, Taylor shopping, Jack baseball practice, Jack swimming, Taylor to the library. Anything missing? Nope. Good day. Not too busy. So I went about my day, Taylor went shopping, Jack went to the pool after his baseball practice. I'm relaxing and thinking how nice to have a free evening. So at 6:45 Taylor comes tearing into the house "MOM!! My graduation!!!" Holy crap! Lane had only gone to bed at 5:00, so no point waking him up. But I thought, and Taylor thought, that the ceremony was at 7:00 so we might make it in time since it was down at the HS. While she's quickly changing into a dress, I FINALLY decide to look at the calendar, only to discover that the ceremony started at 6. We went down anyway, tried to hide in the corner. They were reading off names, but were clear to N at that point so she missed her name. I felt so badly. See, Murphy was right. If everything seems to be going well, you obviously don't know what the heck is going on.
We did go and get her certificate when everything was done. She also had a citizenship award as well as an academic award for being on the honor roll all 4 terms. But on the academic award, they misspelled her name "Raylto." Now THAT'S a typo. They told her to bring it to school tomorrow and they would correct it. She blew the whole forgetting thing off like it was no big deal, but I felt so badly that I forgot all about something so important.



Replacement - a person or thing that takes or can take the place of another.
May 27, 2009
Now I get to learn to use another camera, just when I got used to this one. I got what I wanted, and only went $50 over budget.

I hate the learning curve of new technology. I won't admit how long it took me to figure out how to download the pictures to the computer. It sure does take nice pictures though! I'll have to figure out what "apeture" means and how to use it, since this camera has a manual apeture adjustment, as well as shutter speed. I might have to go take a class. My attention span is far too short to read the 3 manuals, yes 3 MANUALS, that came with the camera. Darn that ADD. Ooooh, look - something shiny!

Academic - Relating to scholarly performance.
May 28, 2009
Jack maintained an A average for the course of 4th grade and was awarded an Academic Award at today's Awards assembly.

No comments: