Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Attempt

Attempt - To try to perform, make, or achieve.
May 20, 2009



Today I attempted to make an apple pie. It tasted good, but it was really ugly. Really ugly. I've only ever made one other pie in my life, also apple, also ugly. It's time to get serious now and figure this out. Any expert tips are welcome.


I made sweet pork enchiladas for dinner with cilantro lime rice. Yummy! My rice turned out really good, fluffly and not sticky, just the way I like it. I have found that it helps to sear the rice with butter before adding the water and for some reason that helps it to not get all sticky and gluey. I also tried out my new Pampered Chef citrus press. I have wanted one for some time and haven't been able to find one anywhere except PC. That is one of the best tools ever! It got every drop of juice out of my lime, even turned the whole rind almost inside out in the process. I got all the lime juice I needed out of a single lime instead of using two like I usually have to. So if your kitchen is full of PC products and you are sure you don't need anything else - you need the citrus press. Seriously. Unless you don't ever use fresh citrus, and then we'll have to talk about that problem first. And while I'm spouting about PC, the other MUST HAVE item is their garlic press. It is the best garlic press EVER!! And again, if you are using garlic powder instead of fresh garlic, we'll have to talk about that too, cuz that's just wrong. I heard the best quote about garlic once: If you are wondering whether or not to use garlic in a dish, ask yourself this question - "Is this a dessert?" If the answer is no, ADD GARLIC!

1 comment:

Syme Family said...

I am no help on the pies because I have only made one and it was not only UGLY, but tasted HORRIBLE! Now, I only do those easy pies with oreo crust and pudding.
I agree about garlic! I don't have a garlic press though. I should get one if I ever go to another PC Party. They don't really do that here in NY.