Saturday, May 23, 2009

Bud, Heritage

Heritage - any attribute or immaterial possession that is inherited from ancestors.
May 23, 2009



My Grandma Walker used to gather all the grandkids together on Memorial Day, and drag us, DRAG us, all over the Pleasant Grove Cementery, pointing out our relatives (Hello? half the cemetery!) and telling us stories about them. It was truly the worst form of punishment. Now as an adult I seriously wish I had paid more attention to Grandma. So now I dragged my kids, DRAGGED them, down to the cemetery with my parents but my parents aren't so long winded as Grandma was. I owe my Grandma a serious apology in the hereafter.


There are 2 large Walker monuments (?) like the one pictured, and they are in dire need of a cleaning. I need to find out if we can go down with some sort of lime/mineral deposit cleaner and scrub the markers. That would be a great FHE/service project. We also have some of the relatives, mostly on the Wright side (my dad's mom's family) who have the old sandstone type headstones that are in terrible disrepair. My dad and some of his brothers took 2 of the worst ones and laid them down flat on the ground in cement. There are others that we should do likewise with, but the names and dates erode so badly. I wish that we could replace them with the granite type that is more durable, but that is costly to do. I should go with my dad and photograph all of them before they get so bad that they can't be read at all.




Bud - a swelling on the stem of a plant that develops into a flower or leaf.
May 22, 2009
Again, more of the rosebush I butchered a few months ago. It is thriving! I guess it's stronger and more resilient than I thought. All 3 rosebushes that I hacked away at are doing really well. Now I have a lilac bush that is gigantic and really needs cut back so since the roses survived that gives me courage to attack the lilacs.

No comments: