Sunday, May 17, 2009

Genuine, Marjoram, Grimy

Genuine - Real and exactly what it appears to be.
May 17, 2009



Here we are on a typical Sunday afternoon - wearing our Cookie Pants and more than a little bit slap happy. We couldn't get the dog to cooperate in the picture, and the kids thought it was positively hysterical. We had a good movie watching day today. After our regularly scheduled episodes of Mythbusters and Food Network Challenge, we watched some good oldies - Beetle Juice, The Princess Bride and The Rookie. Naturally, I got my Sunday nap in and we enjoyed all our yummy snacks.



Marjoram - A plant with sweet-scented leaves, used for seasoning food and in salads.
May 16, 2009


One of my favorite herbs that I grow - no garden should be without it! It is part of the oregano family, but I prefer it over oregano for both the flavor and the way it looks. I always put it in my marinades, in addition to any Italian dishes that I make. Yum! My bush is getting pretty big - if you want some, come and get it! I'm happy to share.



Grimy - thickly covered with ingrained dirt or soot
May 15, 2009


It doesn't show up very well, but both of our feet are totally dirty and disgusting (even by feet standards). We worked in the yard all afternoon, and got a lot done. I had on Crocs, so all the dirt came in, Lane had on socks and sneakers and a little dirt came in, but funnier is his tan line from his ankle socks. We got so much done. We went to the nursery and got all our starts for planting (tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, cantaloupe), plus 4 raspberry bushes (I can taste the jam now!), a new peach tree, another rosemary (my other 2 starts - yes 2 - died), some bushes for the front yard and some chives. We planted some seeds for green onions and basil. I still need to find some dill. We got the kids to move A LOT of rocks from the back yard to the front to fill in the space around the strawberries, and they actually did a great job. We had to enlist the help of my neice Stephanie who foolishly came over to see Taylor (she'll never do that again) and the neighbor boy, Derek, who always wants to help and is a really great help, especially for being 10 and all the distractions that Jack provides. It was a very productive, and tiring, day but such a good feeling to have it all done and out of the way. Now we can just watch it grow and hope for a bountiful harvest.

No comments: