Monday, December 28, 2009

Inherit, Journal

Inherit - obtain from someone after their death.
December 26, 2009



This is something else that I got from my Grandma Whaley's house after she died. It used to sit on the end table in her living room, right next to her couch. She also had a larger ceramic tree, part of the same set, that had Christmas lights on the ends of the branches and it lit up. I don't know what happened to that. I'm too sentimental for my own good sometimes, which is why I have this little set. I guess no one else wanted it and since I always remember it from Grandma's house, I just couldn't let it go to the DI. Grandma wouldn't like that. Sometimes I catch Addie playing with it, just like I used to.

Journal - A personal record of occurances, experiences, and reflections kept on a regular basis; a diary.
December 27, 2009



For some years now I have been working on typing Lane's Grandma Funk's journal. I can only manage to do 2 years every year. I finished 1993 today, so I still have some years to go. I'm not sure how long she kept a journal prior to her death 2 years ago. She wrote faithfully every day, sometimes not much more than "I went to church," but she did write pretty much every single day. In my Full Blown Christmas Panic stage, I turned it over to Taylor and asked her to just type as much as she could. She doesn't type as fast as I do, nor is she as accustomed to reading "old lady cursive," which led to quite a bit of entertainment tonight when I was proofreading it. My favorite was at one entry, where Taylor had skipped a line and typed "Bret came over and cut down my tree, so Brent came over and shot him." It's funny that skipping a line still made the entry make sense, but that's, of course, not what happened. Bret had come over to cut down a tree, and some raccoons had been discovered, so Brent came over and shot THEM, the raccoons, not Bret. But we laughed about it for a long time this evening. Another favorite was when Taylor typed that someone had prepared a dinner and invited Grandma and 10 other people. Instead of typing "It was a lovely dinner," Taylor typed "It was a lonely dinner." And there were a few more instances like that which kept us laughing.

1 comment:

Davis Family said...

laughing about the "shooting" incident - very funny!!