Sunday, December 6, 2009

Gaudy, Delusion

Gaudy - Showy in a tasteless or vulgar way.
December 5, 2009



"I tell you I don't want anything tacky or old-fashioned looking. And inside let's have red wall paper and red velvet portieres over all the folding doors, and oh, lot's of expensive walnut furniture and grand thick carpets, and -- oh, Rhett, everyone will be pea green with envy when they see our house."
-- Scarlett O'Hara Butler
Hallmark 2001



Delusion - A mistaken or misleading opinion, idea, belief, etc.
Decmeber 6, 2009


"It's only Ashley you're wanting and you'll not be having him. And if he wanted to marry you, 'twould be with misgivings that I'd say yes. . . I want my girl to be happy and you wouldn't be happy with him."
-- Gerald O'Hara
Hallmark 2002


I'm still plugging away through one Christmas project after another. I'm making good progress, but I'm still crazy enough to think I can fit in "just one more" project in the next 2 1/2 weeks. That "just one more" leads to another "just one more," and so on, and so on . . . I just can't stop myself.
I framed the NOW ENDED project and delivered it to my parents house. The pattern has been burned. It is finally all over and if I weren't too old and fat to do a cartwheel, I would do one.
Our Advent Chain activity for today was to play Play Station as a family. We don't have very many PS2 games that the whole family enjoys together, so we played the ones we do like: ATV racing, Ford Racing and Guitar Hero. I nearly beat Jack at Ford Racing, and Lane did beat him, so that's always fun - showing up the kid who is supposed to be the best in the family. No one beats Taylor at Guitar Hero. I'm pretty pathetic at it, and the game usually cuts me off because I've done so poorly. But the easiest song, Slow Ride, I can kinda handle on the easy setting. I did ok and didn't get cut off. Lane got cut off when he tried Welcome to the Jungle, but then did better on Slow Ride. It's a fun game and I should play it more often. What's a little humiliation as long as we keep it in the family . . . and on the public blog?
In all my years of Sacrament partaking, I have never once (to my knowledge) spilled a tray. Neither water nor bread. NEVER. Nor have I ever been witness to a spilling. Well, that streak is now over. Jack and I mishandled the water pass-off today and the whole, nearly full, tray of water went onto the floor. In the gym. Where it made lots of noise on the wood floor. And echoed. The kids, the deacon/teacher, and I just stared at it on the floor for what seemed like an eternity, and then all at once we all scrambled and started gathering up the scattered cups. The deacon/teacher kept saying "Don't worry, I'll get it," but how could we just sit there and let him gather it all up? It was not a good moment. We finally gathered up all the cups, and deposited them in the tray, and the deacon/teacher went back to get a new tray. Luckily they didn't have to prepare and bless a new tray to replace the spilled one. That would have taken the embarassing moment to a whole other level of humiliation. After the sacrament was over, I sent Jack to get some paper towels to clean up the water. He returns with 1 paper towel. About 12 inches square. Yeah, that's helpful. So I sent him back for more, and on the 2nd try he brought enough to wipe up all the water, which luckily spilled mostly only on the floor and not on the scriptures, hymn books and other stuff that was sitting on the floor. So now none of you can say you don't know anyone stupid enough to spill a Sacrament tray. I'm that stupid.

No comments: