Sunday, December 13, 2009

Fool, Proposal, Fraud, Torn, Finale

Fool - One who is deficient in judgment, sense, or understanding.
December 9, 2009



"First, she learned that marriage with Rhett was a far different matter from marriage with either Charles or Frank. They had respected her and been afraid of her temper. They had begged for favors and if it pleased her, she had bestowed them. Rhett did not fear her and, she often thought, did not respect her very much either. What he wanted to do, he did, and if she did not like it, he laughed at her. She did not love him but he was most undoubtedly an exciting person to live with."
--Margaret Mitchell, author
Hallmark 2005
Proposal - An offer of marriage
December 10, 2009



"No, my dear, I'm not in love with you, no more than you are with me, and if I were, you would be the last person I'd ever tell. God help the man who ever really loves you. You'd break his heart, my darling, cruel, destructive litte cat who is so careless and confident she doesn't even trouble to sheathe her claws."
-- Rhett Butler
Hallmark 2006

Fraud - A deception deliberately practiced in order to secure unfair or unlawful gain.
December 11, 2009


"Being what he was, Rhett would naturally want to torment and insult her as much as possible to pay her back for past slights and for her recent attempted trickery. Well, she could stand it. She could stand anything. Tara was worth it all. For a brief moment it was mid-summer and the afternoon skies were blue and she lay drowsily in the thick clover of Tara's lawn, looking up at the billowing cloud castles, the fragrance of white blossoms in her nose and the pleasant busy humming of the bees in her ears. Afternoon and hush and the far-off sound of the wagons coming in from the spiraling red fields. Worth it all, worth more."
-- Margaret Mitchell
Hallmark 2007



Torn - Divided or undecided, as in preference
December 12, 2009


"Her heart sank with bitter disappointment. So this was something beautiful, something spectacular! And then anger flared. This moment was her moment with Ashley, hers alone. And yet, though Melanie was absent, her pale shadow lay between them. How could he bring up her name in their moment of farewell? How could he ask such a thing of her?"
-- Margaret Mitchell, author
Hallmark 2009



Finale - The concluding part of any performance or presentation
December 13, 2009


"All I know is that you do not love me and you are going away! Oh, my darling, if you go, what shall I do?"
"My dear, I don't give a damn."
-- Scarlett O'Hara Hamilton Kennedy Butler & Rhett Butler
Hallmark 2009
I am behind because 1) I have reached that point in December when I realize, once again, that I have taken on too much and am extremely stressed that I won't be able to get it all done, and 2) my computer has been behaving badly and is tempermental about uploading pictures. I'm sure many readers (beginning with Lane) will be relieved that I have reached the end of my Scarletts. Of course, now I have lost my safety net and I'll have to actually come up with enough ideas to get me through the end of the month. Whew! It's hard to believe that I have (almost) completed this year-long project.

No comments: