Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Believe, Strength

Believe - To accept as true or real.
December 1, 2009



Greg and Tara gave us this book, including the bell, for Christmas a bunch of years ago. We read it over and over during December, and there is frequently an argument among the kids over who gets to hold the bell while we read it. By happy coincidence, reading this book was the first link on our Advent chain. What a great way to kick off our countdown to Christmas. Thanks, Greg & Tara! This book and bell are among our family Christmas treasures.


Strength - The power to resist strain or stress; durability.
December 2, 2009


"This is where you draw your strength . . . from the red earth of Tara." -- Rhett Butler





This comes from a scene that is in the movie, but not the book, so that isn't a direct quote. I thought about getting my DVD out so I could quote it properly, but given that it is 10:30 p.m. and that I lack the willpower to shut off the movie after a single scene, I decided I had better wing it or gamble on being up until 3 a.m. The words may not be quite right, but the gist is there. I thumbed all through the book to find a similar scene from where the movie writers based this, but I couldn't find anything close enough. (Hallmark ornament 1999)



Our Advent chain activity for the day was to color Christmas pictures. I printed a bunch of the internet, but we didn't have time to finish them because Taylor's choir concert was tonight. They always do such a good job, especially considering it is a junior high choir. They sang, among other things, Carol of the Bells and Believe (from Polar Express). Everything they sang was good, but I think they did an especially good job on Carol of the Bells.

For dinner I made a chicken pot pie. Not a Stouffers one. A real, homemade chicken pot pie. Jack made the crust for me, and I used up my leftover chicken and vegetables. I cheated with cream of chicken soup instead of making a sauce, because I wasn't sure I had enough time. It turned out way good and I'll do it again, including making the sauce, and including making a second pot pie. The first one was gone way too fast.

No comments: