Monday, May 24, 2010

The first day of school

Starting a new job is always a scary thing. I always feel like somehow I will be so inept that they will wonder whatever possessed them to offer me a job in the first place, and then promptly let me go. I haven't had a "first day" in about 15 years. It's scary. It's nerve-wracking. It will keep a person up all night, much like the night before the first day of school. I had carefully planned out what to wear. I guess somehow that I figured if I looked good, it would hide all my insecurities and ineptitude. I don't know if I looked good, but I did feel mostly confident, and only a little shaky, as I walked up to the buidling this morning. Luckily, there were 4 of us in training/orientation today, all in different departments. It all went smoothly, everyone was very kind and welcomed us warmly. I signed all the documents, got my picture taken for my ID badge (wow! I've never had an ID badge before!), recieved orientation and a tour of the facility, and then sent off to our various departments. My trainer was so nice and patient. She even invited me to have lunch with her. My supervisor stopped by a few times to make sure I was doing ok and not too overwhelmed. I smiled politely and said everything was fine, but was still overwhelmed. He asked if I had any questions, to which I replied no, because honestly, I don't know enough yet to know what I don't know. I have my own little cubicle, second on the left on the middle row. It's pretty naked and sterile compared to everyone else's which are decorated with family pictures, vacation pictures, and BYU stuff. The day went by pretty fast and I was on my way home. What a delight to walk in at 5:15 to the smell of dinner cooking (that would be Lane's doing) and a clean house. I was able to just sit down and enjoy dinner and family home evening without doing a single thing myself. Then I changed into my jammies and settled in for the evening. It was a much better first day than I was expecting. No one called me names, or threw rotten food at me. No one yet has discovered my ineptitude, so here's to hoping I can keep my own little can of crazy bottled up long enough to learn the job. Because, believe me, that can of crazy will burst open sooner or later. And if I can win them over before that happens, they will call me "quirky" instead of crazy.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Yeah! Glad to hear it went well. I'm hoping to start a new job in a couple of weeks. I should know by tomorrow, but it's looking pretty optimistic. It's with our old company ACS. I happened to check their website last week and they were hiring in-home data entry workers. Yeah! With a new baby, I can't join the work field with you yet. I've actually thought about you a lot and those couple of years working from home for ACS.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I know you will do great!

Anonymous said...

I can post if I am anonymous, Michelle

Syme Family said...

Hey Quircky! I'm sure you will win them over soon! Glad to hear that it went well. You and JD both started new jobs yesterday!