Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Change

I don't like change. I like things consistent, predictable. As Lane puts it, I can be spontaneous - as long as it is carefully planned out ahead of time. I like to know what is coming. When I drive to a store, for instance, I always park in the same place. Not necessarily the same spot, but the same place (row 9 at Walmart, facing west) because then I know there is no danger of me wandering the parking lot looking for my misplaced car. Knowing this about myself, I am now suffering some degree of trauma as I leave the job I have had for 14 years for a brand new job where I know nothing and no one (eek! or where to park!). It is hard to believe that so many years have passed at PG Printers. When I went to work there, Taylor wasn't quite a year old and she played (or cried) in her little playpen while I worked. All my kids were raised in the back corner of the print shop - watching movies or whatever show happened to be on KBYU. Jack became a master of paper design and construction while there. But now that all 3 are in school full-time, it is time for me to also go back to work full-time. The good thing about Lane working grave yard is that he will be home when they come home from school, here when they are sick. I don't think I would even consider getting a full-time job yet if not for that security. So off I will go on Monday morning; from a job where I am comfortable and where I know what to expect to a job where I really know nothing. This job will be quite a departure from my well-entrenched world of typesetting and design, QuarkXpress, PhotoShop and InDesign. Well, it's time. I am comfortable with my decision - just a little nervous about the unknown.




I will be working at XactWare on 8th North in Orem not far from the former Osmond studios. It's a 12 minute drive (yep -timed it right away!) and a beautiful, fancy building, not at all what I am used to (you know what I mean, those of you who have visited the shop). My title is Content Research Analyst. Keep your fingers crossed for me as I embark on a new adventure bright and early Monday morning - and hope I remember where I left the car.

5 comments:

Draper Duo said...

so excited for you! I will bring over some Excel stuff and show you what I know as soon as I can.

Syme Family said...

Wow! GOOD LUCK! Hope all goes well!

Molly said...

Whoa! Has it been that long since I have talked with you? Good luck! You will be great! If you forget where you parked the car just hit the panic button - it will lead you home! Good Luck!

Kari said...

So exciting--and that's just the title.
Good luck.

Kristen said...

Good Luck! I'm excited to hear how it goes!