Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup


Oh baby. This is so rich and delightful. You gotta have a milk chaser, though. It's a chocolate cupcake with a WHOLE ENTIRE peanut butter cup in the middle. The recipe suggested either peanut butter frosting or chocolate buttercream. I let Taylor choose, and she said chocolate. I didn't have any peanut butter chips on hand, per the recipe's suggestion, but I did have a mix of semi-sweet and peanut butter, which worked great. YUM. Some of Taylor's friends were here this evening and they ate quite a few of them. Mmmm . . . I heart cupcakes.
I got all my stuff (I hope) copied over to my external drive and the old computer is shut down for the last time. I must admit, I had an irresistible urge to give the old monitor and gentle pat for serving well. The poor dumb computer, as it shut down, went through it's automatic updates. I guess she doesn't understand that it really isn't necessary. Because I don't trust that I got off everything I need, I'll just set it off in a corner for a week or two while I discover what I'm still missing. If I don't need it in the next couple of weeks, I guess I don't need it. But it is a little sad, as her power lights blink off for the lat time. She has served me very well.
I can get strangely attached to inanimate objects. I remember when Lane and I traded in our 1987 Ford Bronco II for a newer truck. That was the first automobile we had bought as a married couple, in fact, the first major purchase we had made as a married couple, and it made my heart twinge just a little as we left it at the car lot and drove away. It's my mom's fault. She gets really attached to cars. There was Big Red, our old red and white suburban that drove our family to family reunions near and far, and luckily my parents had the good sense to get rid of it just before I got my drivers license so I never had to drive the beast, but it nearly killed my mother to give it up. She loved that car. Big Red was replaced by the Silver Bullet, a silver Chev Celebrity which was the car I got to drive. By then everyone was pretty much gone from home except me, and my parents only needed one car. Being last priority, I hardly ever got to drive anywhere. They would even drive me to my job at Subway in Orem and then come and pick me up. (It makes one wonder why I don't like to drive now). I remember once I got to take the car to my summer home ec class, and I was the one volunteered to go to Harts and get drinks. I'm not sure why it was that I went alone to fetch at least 5-6 drinks. It must have made sense at the time. But, sure enough, when I pulled back into the HS parking lot and got the car stopped, I spilled all the drinks trying to get them out of the car. My day at summer home ec that day was spent learning how to clean soda out of velour upholstery. Not one of my best moments.
And now I bid a fond farewell to my 2004 desktop computer, with her loud whirring CD-ROM and even louder fan, her slow speeds and her frequent freezes. And off we go on a new journey with a newer computer that will take up much less space on my desk. For most people that would be a good thing, but for me, who has never at any time in my life been able to keep a neat clean desk, it's just more room for me to pile my crap. Here we go.