Saturday, May 15, 2010

Think Pink

Another baking day for Lari. Is there a better way to spend a Saturday? No, I don't think so. Between bakings I had to run here, there, and everywhere, but still got it all done. Except the laundry. But I could have done that if I had tried at all. I pretty much ignored it hoping it would go away on it's own. It didn't.



So the first thing I started was the bread, of course, since it takes the longest. I went with a french artisan bread today. I still can't shape it very well. Thankfully the shape doesn't affect the taste. It turned out good and disappeared quickly.


In my cooking school book I got at the Taste of Home cooking school I attended, there was a recipe for pink velvet cupcakes. I have been aching to try it ever since. On a whim, I decided to make the pink velvets into minis. I am now prepared to toss out my other other from-scratch white cake recipe - this one is perfect! I didn't put enough color in it, so it is still pretty white. I forgot to get heavy cream at the store for the ganache frosting, so I went with a white chocolate mousse frosting instead. If the frosting looks lumpy, that's because it is. I left chunks of white chocolate in it, which it turns out I didn't care for. I'll melt all the chocolate next time.

But these were by far the best of the day. Another recipe from my cupcake class - Pink Lemonade with pink lemonade cream frosting. So good! Almost as good as the key lime. I sprinkled them with clear sugar crystals, which made them pretty and sparkly, but I think next time I'll add fresh lemon zest to the tops like with the key lime. These were so yummy! What is with the cupcake lady that she would even think of such things? I was hoping to make a Dr. Pepper cupcake today. I saw a recipe on Facebook (cuz of course I'm a fan of Dr. Pepper), and I thought I had gotten everything from the store, but I forgot to get unsweetened chocolate. So that will have to wait until the next round.
I saw the most beautiful Ford Mustang at the hardware store today. I can't stop thinking about it. In my Happy Place I drive a Mustang convertible. Not a new one, as pretty as they are. I want an old one. 60's old. I forget what the good years were, between '65 and '68 or something. The car in the parking lot was exactly what I would want - the right year and everything. It was a pretty bronz-y brown color, not what I would choose, but it was still pretty. The owner of the car came out of the store while we were admiring his car, and we complimented him on it, which I'm sure he gets all the time with a car like that. Maybe someday . . .


No comments: