Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Hike (yes, I went on a hike)

Last summer I went on a hike. It nearly killed me. It was so sad. I made that same hike to the G a whole bunch of times my senior year and I don't remember almost dying. So I decided at that time that I need to go on more hikes, but I need to work up to going to the G again. Plus it can't be a family hike because it's too much for Addie. So I declared Monday to be Family Hike Day and we hiked to the waterfall in Battle Creek Canyon. This too is a hike I made many times back in the day, and so I described it to Lane as "more of a mountain stroll than a real hike."



Evidently being 40 causes memory problems. I was winded just walking up to the trail head. I had to stop and reconsider if it was ok for Addie (cuz it's just easier to blame it on her than to admit my own weakness). But we trudged on. This was no stroll. It may have been for 16 year old legs, but for 40 year old legs it was tough - not G mountain tough, but Lari tough. Luckily, having Addie along makes it so I could call for frequent rest breaks without sounding like I was the one who needed it. Eventually, we made it to the waterfall. It really only took 30-40 minutes even with our frequent breaks. It was a good hike and I'm ready to go again next Satruday. No, really. I'm going again on Saturday. Stop laughing.

This is the view back at the valley from the waterfall.

Even after I told Jack not to get wet because the water was super cold, he had to stick his hand in anyway. "Ahhh!" he shouted. "That's COLD!" Really. If only someone had warned him.

Addie was terribly proud of making it up the huge mountain (she thought we hiked to the top of the mountain - meaning Timp) she couldn't help but smile.


I managed to get a smile out of Taylor - somehow. She didn't want to come on the hike. And she was even madder when I told her no Ipods were allowed during Family Fun.



It took no more than 15 minutes - probably more like 10 - to get back down the mountain. We passed a lot of people heading up. It was a good hike. Only someone as pathetic as me would be so happy about such a small accomplishment.



No comments: