Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Davy Jones

My friend Jennifer and I have a long-abiding love for the Monkees. I don't remember when we discovered them, but we loved them and the TV show used to come on channel 13 during our lunch hour in high school. As if we needed one more excuse to cut class in high school, we would come home to eat lunch and watch the Monkees. And, of course, as any true Monkees fan, we had our crushes on Davy Jones.




So Jennifer sent me a Facebook message last week that Davy Jones would be performing at the Scera Shell and did I want to go? Heck yeah! She asked how expensive of a ticket I wanted, and I told her to just get whatever. So she sent me back a message a few days later that she had gotten the tickets, but only General Admission was still availble. Are you kidding me? Who else around here even knows who Davy Jones is? I remember listening to their music back in high school, and even then people would ask, Who are the Monkees? Is that the band David Cassidy was in? Ouch.




So we went last night with our GA tickets, and found ourselves - did I mention I am 40? - as some of the youngest in the crowd. That was weird. There were a few younger, but only a few, not counting the grandchildren brought by the old folks. Seriously. It was Geriatric Central. Ok, not quite geriatric, but there was a whole lot of gray hair around.


Senior Citizens aside, I had a great time, sang along to all the songs, which are actually on my MP3 playlist. No really, I still listen to the Monkees all the time. Who wouldn't?

A 64 year old, less heart-throb inducing, Davy Jones. He still put on a good show.




Jennifer and I waiting for the show to begin. Apparenty I had left my lipstick at home. Looking pretty washed out.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

The Monkees? Davy Jones? You are old!

JENNE said...

I was there! You know the young kids he was teasing during the show - those were my kids. I am glad to have a fellow Monkee in the family.

Unknown said...

Did a video shoot with Davy last week. He's still got it. Preview here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=e8oikM0awa0

Like your blog, baked goods are my weakness!

Bob Albin
YAY! Music
(570) 452-5153