Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Payson Temple

Lane sent me this. It was called "An artist rendering of the new Payson Temple." It gave me a much needed laugh. Sorry, Heather, but you will have to laugh too.


After years of being a loyal Turbo Tax user, last year I used Tax Act Online instead. I had heard rumors of changes Intuit/Turbo Tax was making to their software that made me angry and I decided to protest on principle's sake. The Tax Act Online was ok, not quite so user friendly as Turbo Tax, but it worked ok. The problem with it is it's a pay per use thing. So I had to pay before I could print or efile, then I had to pay the efiling fee, and then all again for the State package. I don't think that, when all was said and done, I saved any money at all, and I was frustrated because I help some neices and nephews with taxes and I had to figure them by hand because they didn't want to pay the per-use fee. So knowing that, I decided this year I would go back to Turbo Tax. I got my software, and during the installation my computer spontaneously rebooted. After it came back up, I tried to continue the install, but it told me I had to remove it first and then re-install. So I uninstalled and reinstalled, gathered all my paperwork together, and I was ready to go. Whoa!! Not so fast!!! Intuit Turbo Tax decided that I had pirated the software because of the reinstall and wouldn't let me proceed. It told me I had to call customer support with my serial number to get a new confirmation code to proceed. OK, fine. Whatever. It's a pain and a bother, but I'll do what it says. Call the customer support. Wait. . . wait . . . still waiting . . .then I notice that it says on my computer where it shows the customer support number that the office hours are 9 to 5. It's 6:30. My questions are two: 1) Since most people are gone during the day, wouldn't it be good PR during the tax season to have hours until later in the day? and 2) why didn't any of the automated menus I went through at customer service ever say "our offices are now closed" instead of just "your call is important to us . . ." I was all psyched up and ready for the dreary task of doing the taxes only to be put off for another day or more. It's exactly this kind of crap that people complained about and led to me not purchasing TT last year. I guess they figure that since they are the best known that people will just put up with crap. OH, and get this, when I went to the Intuit web site to give them a piece of my mind, the only "contact us" link led to Tina their Automated Customer support rep or FAQs. I couldn't find any place to send them an email saying "WTH??" After this year, Turbo Tax has lost me as a customer permanently.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I had great success with Turbo Tax this year, went smoother than ever. Sorry to hear it wasn't so great for you!

Syme Family said...

That is funny (the Payson Temple)!
I did not like TT online when I used them one year.
This year I used H&R Block for free federal and only had to pay $9.95 for state. I was done less than two hours, granted I take the standard deduction, but do claim the student loan interest and get the credit for the kids.
Your may be more complicated than mine, but if you go to
http://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/jsp/index.jsp?ck
It lists many companies that do e-file and some you may even qualify to do it free depending on how much you make. HTH

Davis Family said...

you are just jealous my friend, plus you have the wrong temple drawing...it's actually a double wide. please get your facts straight!! :)