Thursday, February 25, 2010

Back in the day . . .

Is anyone else bugged when figure skaters cover up their skates with their tights? I don't like the way that looks and I really wish they would knock it off. Ladies skates should be white - ALWAYS - and men's skates should be black. Case closed.



I decided to experiment with making taco bowls for dinner. I didn't bother to look up any instructions, so it's no shock they didn't turn out quite right. I deep fried the flour tortillas and then hung them over mason jars to form. They didn't get as crispy as I had hoped, but they still turned out good, no one complained, and every last one of them was eaten.




I've been staying up way too late watching Olympics coverage and thus neglected the blog. That's not all I've been neglecting, but that's how some weeks go. Today was "Student Led Conferences" (or as we like to call them - "True Confessions") out at the Jr. High. The good thing about them is they are quick and painless, unless there happens to be a lot to confess. We didn't even meet with any teachers this time because all of Taylor's grades are good. Thanks to the beauty of modern technology, I get an email every Monday morning with a detailed report of her grades in every class as well as attendance. It's a beautiful thing for a parent, but a terrible drag for a kid. Thankfully, there was none of that when I was attending school. There was the dreaded robo-call from the school computer reporting tardies and/or absences, but that was easily remedied by intercepting the phone call which typically came in around 4:30 p.m., before my parents got home from work. There was also the mid- and end-of-term failing notices that came in the mail. I only got one once, but again, easily intercepted and hidden away from the parents.



Next month is registration for next year. High school! How did that happen? I can't believe she'll be in high school! That blows my mind. And then she announced to me that she doesn't think she wants to sing next year. I hope she changes her mind.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Taylor has to sing in High School Choir!! I was in choir all throughout junior high and high school and high school choir is the absolute best!!! I had so much more fun singing in high school choir than junior high. It's a great experience. I hope she changes her mind too!!