Wednesday, February 23, 2011

. . . of echocardiograms and Brinner


We had a follow up visit at PCMC today. Upon arrival, we were informed that we were scheduled for an echocardiogram, which was news to me. Either they told me and I forgot (likely) or they forgot to tell me. Either way, it was a surprise. I've mentioned before that the echocardiograms are always crazy-making because they always result in our cardiologist saying, "Hmmm. . . ." or "Wasn't expecting that" or "That's unusual." But I told Addie to make sure her heart behaved and we went for the echo. Everything seemed to be going along just fine. The technician told us he was going to show the report to the radiologist and he would be right back (this is usual). But when he came back he said he had to take more pictures. Lane and I looked at each other, thinking "Well, here we go again," but luckily it turned out to be nothing. We saw Dr. Day and he was very pleased with her progress since he last saw her and commented that he is pleased that she has adjusted to using the oxygen at night because it helps her so much and commented that he thinks it is a good idea to continue the coumadin. It doesn't sound like that will be ending any time soon. But things could certainly be worse. It was a very good trip today and we all came home happy. Especially Addie who got to go spend the afternoon at Grandma's house.
I had cub scout Blue and Gold banquet tonight. 4 of my 6 boys were there and they all got some awards. I was even surprised to receive a new patch for my shirt ( I LOVE getting new stuff for my shirt!). It's a quality unit patch - not sure what that means, but HEY - I got something new for my shirt!!! I don't know where it goes, so if anyone knows, please pass the info along.
I am still running 3 times a week. I got a little cocky on Monday when I surprised myself by ending the session with a full five minute run (it was supposed to be 3 minutes - I decided to see if I could do 4 . . . then 5!) So my next running session went like this: warm up, 3 minute run, 90 second walk, 5 minute run, 2 minute walk, 3 minute run, 90 second walk, 5 minute run, cool down. Before Monday I thought there was no way I could do it, I would just repeat week 3 a second time. But after I ran for 5 WHOLE MINUTES, I changed my mind and decided I was up for the challenge. That's where the cocky comes in. 90 seconds is not enough recovery for a 5 minute run, at least not for this fat old gal. I managed along ok, at an EXTREMELY slow pace (I was getting lapped by old people walking - while I was RUNNING!) until the last series. I just couldn't start running again after only 90 seconds, so I was forced to cheat. The 90 second walk turned into a 2 1/2 minute walk and a final 4 minute run instead.
Although I have lived to tell the tale, I was really panting when I finished. And my apologies to all the unfortunate souls who were witness to the pathetic spectacle: I'll do better next time.
It probably wasn't the best idea to run at 7:30 (instead of 8:00, as usual) when I was all tanked up on fried eggs, sausage and bacon (aka BRINNER). There's a chance that better digestion and less fat intake could have brought a better result. It's just a thought.

No comments: