Tuesday, February 8, 2011

See Lari run. Funny, funny, Lari.

Addie called to come home from school yesterday afternoon. Since I was at work, I called my parents to see if they were available to go pick her up. They were, so they went and got her and took her to their house. Around 2:30 my mom called to say that Addie had a fever of 102. I told her I would call the doctor and see what he recommended.


I called my doctor and he said he wanted to see her. Her temperature was 103 when they took it there at the doctors office, but she wasn't acting very sick. The doctor looked her over and pronounced it a virus. Lots of rest, he said. Watch to see it doesn't turn into anything more serious.


She was also scheduled for another blood draw for her coumadin, so we got that done since we were right there by the hospital. Poor thing, has had to have her blood drawn so often - sometimes once a week, sometimes every other week - and she has been so brave. They called me with results today. Her PT/INR level has been consistent for a while now, so we don't have to have another draw for 3 weeks! Wahoo!


I kept her home from school today, and I stayed home with her. Her fever was low-grade and she played and was quite herself all day. She ate good today, so hopefully there will be no fever tomorrow and she can go back to school. She was climing the walls a little bit from being inside all day long.


So I went for my run tonight. My shins are doing so much better - it's quite miraculous really. I wasn't dreading the run, and curious to find out how these old shins held up after the TLC I've been giving them. I got to the gym with Jack and started up my ipod app only to find out that my ipod battery was at critical level. Yikes! How did that happen? The optimist in me said that I had enough power to do my little-bitty run. Um . . . not so much. Half way through the first song, it went kaput. Great. Now how was I supposed to know when to walk and when to run? What was I supposed to use as a pacesetter? I didn't even have a watch on to time myself.


I knew that my runs now last for about 3/4 of a lap. But since 3/4 of a lap is hard to keep track of, I opted to do a 1 lap run, 1 lap walk. (Stop laughing!) Well, what do you know? I did my 1 lap run and didn't die. My shins were not screaming out for relief. My last lap I even did an extra 1/4 just for kicks and giggles. And do you know what? I could have kept going. I wanted to keep going. I should have kept going. But it was 9:00 and time to get Jack to bed. So I stopped.


While my 1 lap run is barely noteworthy, it is a milestone to me. After all, a journey of 1,000 miles begins with a single step. Or lap.

2 comments:

Kari said...

One step at a time . . . good for you.
And good luck with those shin splints--those hurt like a bear. A machete wielding bear. Mine surfaced last fall and I still ice after every run. My new shoes are on the way. And--I know it's strange, but true--running tights are incredibly helpful. After a few weeks of running with the tights, I ran in regular workout pants and wanted to die. Then Molly casually mentioned something about the tights and a light went on--I hadn't made the connection. I can't believe what a difference they make, though, in compressing my calves/shins while I run. I highly recommend them.

linda funk said...

It is true - the hardest part is sticking with the exercise on a regular basis. Can't tell you how many times I have started, but like you Don and I are trying to stick with it.