Sunday, February 6, 2011

Why not red?

Thanks in part to some new running shoes (a thoughtful birthday gift from Lane) my screaming shins have pretty much stopped screaming. I have completed 2 weeks of my Couch25k training and am still alive to tell the tale. Every time I complete my run/walk (which to be honest is really more of a shuffle/walk) I feel like I have accomplished something huge. I have never been a runner at all (ask anyone who has ever had the misfortune to see me run) so to do this is a huge accomplishment. The run/walk is now up to almost 2.5 miles - an on a track, not a treadmill. It's true that some other people on the track can walk as fast as I run/shuffle. It's also true that I determine my distance from a pedometer that counts my steps, rather than my distance because my run/shuffle stride is so short that I figured I would get discouraged if I counted my actual distance. I am working on lengthening out my stride now that my shins are recovering. And so far none of the friends whom I run into at the gym have snickered about my form to my face. And most importantly, I'm still sticking with it. Commitment to any form of exercise has always been, and continues to be, an enormous challenge.


I got a new scout shirt for my birthday. The one I had I got as a hand-me-down about 7 years ago and it has never fit well. So I spent the Super Bowl today getting all my patches moved from my old shirt onto my new shirt. It's a tedious task, so it's good to have it out of the way. Since I was at it, I sewed Jack's merit badge patches onto his sash thing. Not sure what it's called. He has another Court of Honor coming up this month and should be advanced to First Class, which means another pin for me - as always, it's all about me.


I also got a new phone last week. I like the new phone, but dislike tremendously the learning curve of getting a new phone. I got a new phone back in October - a touch screen/non-Smart Phone type that I kept for a week and returned because I hated it. This one is much better. Except that nothing on the LG phone is where it was on my Samsung phone. Go figure. Don't even get me started on the ringtone fiasco. I have opted to settle for Coldplay while I am figuring out how to get my Friday Night Lights theme song on there again. And this new phone isn't red. All phones should have a Red option. It's just a good policy. Black phones are boring. Silver phones are boring. This one has orange on the slide-out keyboard, but orange isn't red, and the face is still black. Boring. So very boring.


3 comments:

Mama Mie said...

Keep up the good work at the gym! Good for you. I can't seem to get a consistent exercise program going in the winter. :(

Anonymous said...

Red!! We are converting you a little at a time:) Michelle

Anonymous said...

why red when true blue is always better? :]