Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Disability Awareness



Isn't it pretty? There is actually a patch and pin too, but I couldn't find pictures of those. I found out about the patch at a Roundtable Meeting and decided we were going to earn it. Little did I know, how much blood, sweat and tears was going into earning it. I shouldn't say that. It's not quite blood, but there was sweat and there were lots of tears.
First, let me say I don't like to ask for help. I know that other people are busy with their own lives and fitting in "helping Lari out" can be an annoying burden. But, darn it, I was committed to earning this award but I couldn't do it on my own. I have no disability qualifications - well, not the required disabilities, anyway. I have plenty of things that could probably count as a disability of one sort or another. For instance, have you seen me throw? Or run?
Anway, I had to ask for help. There was no getting around it. Thank goodness for good friends. The three people I asked for help each said yes without any sort of hesitation, even from my life-long friend Nichole who is, and has always been, a crier. Thanks Nichole. I know that was hard for you, but I know 6 little boys who have a greater appreciation now for your sweet little angel. And to my friend Camie, who managed to get there to help me out tonigh despite me telling her the wrong address and the wrong day, a heartfelt thank you. And, of course, to Marilyn, who herself was born to be a Den Leader - thank you for your help.
Somehow my 6 little scouts, bundles of perpetual motion that they are, managed to sit there politely and respectfully and listen to the lesson. I was so impressed with them. Whoever says they will never serve in a scout position doesn't know what they are missing out on. To be involved in the life of a cub scout is truly a gift.

1 comment:

Claudine said...

Two comments for you Lari. 1) I think you too were born a Den Leader. And we're so grateful that you are one. 2) Helping you would not feel like "Oh no, now I have to help Lari!" Just so you know...I'm willing when you need something. and 3)I think you're cool! (I know, I can't count-consider that one of my disabilities;) )