Thursday, March 11, 2010

Cafe Rio


I'm still trying to capture that Cafe Rio/Bajio/Costa Vida flavor at home. I managed some tasty chicken that I baked yesterday and has been since sitting in a marinade of olive oil and lime juice. It was pretty good, but still not quite right. I haven't found a perfect enchilada sauce for Cafe Rio night (as it has come to be known at our house), but this one was pretty good. My rice, though, turned out very Cafe Rio-esque. I found a recipe on the internet different from the one I've been using, and it was much closer to what I've been looking for. I had to break out my blender and everything - who knew? It actually had no lime in it, but mixed perfectly with both my chicken and pico, which both did have lime. I'm going to get some tomatillos at the grocery store this weekend and try to make the ranch dressing they have there. I'm feeling another baking day coming on on Saturday. I have no committments and a never-ending sweet tooth, so I'll have to dig out some fun recipes to try. It has been suggested by some 11-year-old memebers of my household that I make more mini-cakes, chocolate this time please, so I think I'll start there. And probably get those pretzels made that I didn't get to last weekend. Feel free to stop by and sample - we love company!

No comments: