Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Buffalo Chicken and Ranch Wraps

For a change, I'll write about something other than my running, and go back to my constant fall-back: FOOD.



There is a website called allrecipes.com that I use all the time to find whatever recipe I think I might want to try out. I have also subscribed to their service that sends recipes to my email box every few days, and many of them have been wonderful! Tonight I tried out Buffalo Chicken and Ranch Wraps. YUMMY! Not only that, it was also fast and easy and got it all done and on the table at our normal time, even though I worked all day.


Here it is:


  • 1 pound thin-sliced bacon
  • 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
  • 3 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite size pieces
  • 1/4 cup Buffalo wing sauce
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 12 (10 inch) flour tortillas
  • 1 cup diced fresh tomato
  • 3/4 cup ranch dressing, divided

  1. Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned and crisp, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate. Crumble when cool.
  2. Drain off all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon drippings, and cook and stir the chicken breast chunks until browned, about 10 minutes. Cover the skillet and allow chicken to continue cooking until no longer pink inside and the juices run clear, about 10 more minutes. Stir in the Buffalo sauce and melted butter until chicken is thoroughly coated. Stir in the crumbled bacon. Keep the mixture warm.
  3. Heat the tortillas, one at a time, in a large ungreased skillet over medium heat until they begin to form air bubbles and small brown spots. Fill each each warmed tortilla with about 1/3 cup of the chicken filling and a tablespoon or so of tomatoes; sprinkle the tomatoes with 1 tablespoon of ranch dressing. Wrap the tortilla around the filling; serve warm.


I prefer to make my own sauces whenever possible, so I made my own Buffalo Sauce to use in the recipe. Also from allrecipes.com:



  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/3 cup hot pepper sauce
  • 1/3 cup ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  1. Combine the butter, hot sauce, ketchup, and honey in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Use as a sauce for cooked chicken wings or pieces.

Everyone ate it all up, and I hurried and set some aside for Lane's lunch, otherwise there would have been no leftovers. If I was to make it again, I would amp up the "zippiness" a little bit. I do like my Tabasco. It is a perfect warm weather dinner, although my kitchen did get a little warm while I was cooking. And then there is always the problem of the stale bacon smell that sticks around . . . and sticks around . . .


But my windows are open, so hopefully it will not be so bad.

No comments: